Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Second Week in Tucson!

Thank you for all the birthday wishes and packages this last week!!! I truly have the most wonderful family and friends!!!! 

I thought I had done some pretty hard things in my life and that I knew exactly what hard work was, but I can say with out a doubt this is the hardest thing I have ever done. Emotions are such a confusing thing. I have been trying really hard to discern what is my own doubt, what is the adversary and what the Holy Ghost is trying to tell me but they all seem to be mushing together. Creating a very mushy emotional me:) Through this though, I have been able to see some of the greatest tender mercies. 

One of the hardest things here has been the car. That sounds so ungrateful, I am glad we have a car it's just been a challenge for me. During the long quiet drives in the car my mind often wanders to thoughts of home, the things I want to be better at,or the things I could be doing. Which leads to zero motivation. And boredom. And lack of interest. 

 Wednesday was one of the best days, not because it was my birthday but because God gave me the best gifts. 

All of our lessons canceled and the only thing we had to do was deliver thank you notes to members who fed us. I convinced my companion that we should park the car walk! And she said yes!  It was a beautiful 75 degrees outside and it's a lot easier to talk to people walking around than stuck in a car! This was a huge shift in attitude for both of us as we changed the situation to be more productive. We were able to talk to several people, found actual green grass/ bushes, gave out multiple pass along cards and Book of Mormon's, talked to less actives,  and we even set up an appointment with a man who the missionaries have been trying to get a hold of for a few months! (though it was borderline stalking because I said we should wait outside his house till he left to work. Which happened to be 5 minutes after we got there but the encounter was still a little awkward because he knew we were waiting for him haha)  I finally know what its like to have sore missionary feet:) 

Another funny story from this great day...  one of the people we were talking to was a man holding a sign on the street corner dancing. We get talking to him and I told him if he took a Book of Mormon we would go to the store he was advertising for. He gave me the craziest look but was smiling super nicely and was so kind to us! Well when i read the word 'smoke' on his sign I was thinking like a bbq pit or something...as we left my companion explained to me that it wasn't a smoke pit/ bbq store or anything.... it was an actual smoke shop. hahahah I keep reminding myself that I'm not in Utah 


To top it all of the Hargreaves family (who got baptized on Thursday!!) had us over for dinner. Twice baked potatoes. AND steak!! It was a 5 star meal! I have only known them, for 2 weeks but i can see their light and love so strongly. Their grandparents who are members -the grandpa is performing the baptism- got to watch them pray for the first time. This family is amazing. 

It was a very unique birthday experience not being with Madison for our first birthday apart, but regardless I saw the hand of God in so many ways. 


Some things about the ward: 
The ward members are so great here. Every Friday we send them a spiritual though and ask them to pray for certain things with investigators. I am loving working with members. 

THE FARM
Along with serving at the horse therapy center we help out at a farm! 
1. we cut bags and bags of spinach
2. turned chicken poop for a few hours
3. I MILKED A GOAT (I also managed to wear half of the milk hah) 

As I was studying this week I read the following line from Elder M. Russell Ballard,  

"You can never do more for the Lord than He can do for you"

This is something I have seen in my own life many times over the last few weeks, and even in the lives of people surrounding me. It is humbling to know that ultimately God is the one behind everything I am doing here and He will make everything possible. This doesn't mean we should discontinue our diligent efforts, it is a meant to be a support.  

Allow yourself to see the work of God in your life this next week. 

All my love, 

Sister Carter 


Sister Carter holding a tiny turtle!
A cool door in Tucson.
Sister Carter on her Birthday!


Sister Carter opening her cute Birthday Box!

No comments:

Post a Comment