Search This Blog

Sunday, March 5, 2017

Sonoran Dogs, Sleepovers and Singing

What a beautiful rainy week it has been here!!! 

Thank you for all the love and support i am so grateful for amazing family and friends!!

We are meeting with a part member/ super less active family named the Smiths. Brother Smith is hard of hearing and i will get to sign to him during lessons!! I need to brush up on my ASL gospel vocabulary but im SO excited:) 

All the new missionaries and their trainers had a training meeting at the mission office, it was so nice go see everyone i came here with! It was a huge blessing to have some familiar faces and talk with good friends. It is so pretty up there with less cactus, more people:) i really hope i get to serve up that way some day! 

Sister Drown locked our keys in the car Haha so long story short since we are like a  25 minute drive from our area some members took us to some sisters apartment who live in central tucson and we had a little sleepover at their apartment!!!! They live in one of the more crime ridden parts of town so we listened to gun shots and sirens all night. so that was fun 

EXCHANGES!!
For exchanges I got  to go to Sahurita, like 40 minutes towards the border from here with SISTER TANNER. One minute it will be the boonies then BAM theres an incredibly nice subdivision...? 

We woke up to the elders over here (who are also the zone leaders) asking us to come help this brother of one of their members move. So we show up and we started packing up his trailer home. It was one of the nastiest places I have ever seen in my whole life. (so i thought).  The location we moved him to was even worse. It was absolutely filthy and grimey and i honestly dont even think i could call it a shack. It was horrible. but he was so happy to be at this new place because it was on 2 acres and he only pays less than 200 a month for electricity and water basically. The roof is caving in theres places where there are huge holes in the floor. The guy who used to live there died 2 weeks ago and so theres a ton of his stuff everywhere. The guy who died was an artist so the man moving into the home let us go through the art hahaha though I might need to burn my clothes from bed bugs i  grabbed one of the paintings so i could never forget that experience! :) 

And he let me hang up some art all around his new place- not as fun as hanging art while working at Heirloom but it was a close second! 

After this we got to help out at the food bank, this was amazing!!!!! All the workers here are incredible- the one in the picture is a man named Rick who has 2 girls and is so kind and funny and loves the sister missionaries and treats us so well! he gave us a bunch of food to take home!!! (Blessings) 

After this we studied- i love studying with sister tanner she is so in tune with the spirit (she also leaves in 2 weeks, super sad). All the lessons we had today fell through and so did dinner but I had the best time with sister tanner and we were so happy the whole day even though so many doors got shut on us! We tried these crazy fruits that grow on top of cactus, ate at a yummy Hawaiian bbq place and drove past the pond in the middle of one of the nice neighborhoods. We finished off the day at the ward valentines day party, talked to some really nice members, had some great desserts, and then pranked the elders car that was parked there! That stake center is really cool it fits right in with the desert, it almost looks like a huge Catholic church. 

At dinner sunday night this hispanic family fed us real SONORAN DOGS!! Its basically a hot dog with tons of stuff on it. They made us douse ours in Jalapeño salsa then shove as much of it as we could in our mouth. While doing this I got the salsa allll over and it was even up my nose hahahh. My nose was literally b.u.r.n.i.n.g all night long! If i had any nose hairs it for sure singed every last one off. haha 

This week I have had some amazing experiences recognizing the hand of the God in my life. I know that there is no chance I could be doing this work with out the help of the Savior. I have been driven to my knees asking for help and during these times I have felt an overwhelming flood of companionship. I know that Christ walks every step of this journey with me!! How lucky am I to have someone so endearing watching over me!  

And I know that the Lord is proud of each and every one of you, never forget that!!

Love you with all my heart, 

Sister Carter 


Also I have started this Easter challenge to give to some of the members in the ward, I would love if you joined in with me! Our time on earth is to learn everything about our Savior. As you strive to learn continually I promise you will deepen your relationship with Jesus Christ. Here are some talks to read each week to help you understand the role Christ plays in our lives. If you would like I can send you the PDF of the challenge if not here is a little outline of each week!

---------------------------------Easter Challenge------------------------------- 
Alma 26:15-16
Alma 7:11-12

Read these talks during the week. Then write down and share your thoughts with someone

Week 1: (19-25)
'Where Justice, Love, and Mercy Meet'
April 2015 Elder Jeffery R. Holland

Week 2: (26- March 4)
'This Glorious Easter Morn'
April 1996 President Gordon B. Hinkley

Week 3: (5-11)
'None Were With Him'
April 2009 Elder Jeffery R. Holland

Week 4: (12-18)
'Jesus, the Very Thought of Thee'
April 1993 President Howard W. Hunter 

Week 5: (19-25)
'We Follow Jesus Christ'
Aprl 2010 Elder Quenin L. Cook

Week 6: (26-April 1)
'He Lives! All Glory to His Name!'
April 2010 Elder Richard G. Scott

Week 7:(2-8)
'He is Risen!'
April 2010 President Thomas S. Monson

Week 8: (9-15)
Video: "An Apostle's Easter Thoughts on Christ"


April 16th: Easter! 

No comments:

Post a Comment